I’m discouraged by what I see on LinkedIn. Many authors don’t take advantage of LinkedIn’s power to promote and market themselves and their books there. It’s frustrating for me to see the big mistakes authors are making on what has become the second largest social network in the U.S, and the one that is perfect for authors and businesses that brand themselves with a book.
LinkedIn is the best way to get you and your book seen and loved! You get much more visibility and credibility on LinkedIn than FB and Twitter.
Proof of LinkedIn Results
My own targeted traffic comes first, from my name and brand, Judy Cullins / book coaching, and other related searches on Google. Second source? LinkedIn, by a mile! My results include more than doubled traffic, from around 2,200 to over 6,000 a month, and also more opt-ins. From these opt-ins, book and coaching sales have doubled this year.
What Are Book Authors and Professionals Doing Wrong on LinkedIn?
Here are just a few of the problems I see regularly...
- They sign up and forget about it.
- They don’t update their LI profile enough. Canned and old information looks OLD.
- They join the wrong groups. They need to focus on their target audience and groups that they can network in.
- They use the groups, but don’t interact and make relationships. They blatantly shout "Buy my book!"
- They don’t know how to use LinkedIn’s applications such as connecting your blog with LinkedIn or listing your books with direct links in your profile.
- They don’t know how to prioritize their profile placements. Which is more important - your recommendations and summary or your college?
- They don’t have a personalized URL (mine is http://Linkedin.com/in/JudyCullins).
- They sign up for 40-50 groups and don’t participate much. You must build relationships.
- They collect numbers. They send invites to anyone! They don’t focus on their best audiences.
- They don't use laser focus on their main book or service. Too many things to distract their audience.
- Their profile focuses on them, not their audience. Use the YOU point of view here.
See more LinkedIn benefits at http://bookcoaching.com/linkedin-marketing.php
About the Author
Book, Blog, and LinkedIn Coach Judy Cullins helps you transform your LinkedIn presence into an income stream for life. Author of 14 books that include LinkedIn Marketing: 8 Best Tactics to Build Book and Business Sales, Judy offers free, up-to-the minute weekly publications on writing and online marketing at http://www.bookcoaching.com/help-writing-a-book.php.